18th May 2015
A Thuismitheoiri / Dear Parents,
Summer has officially begun – according to the calendar at least! So, here is the Kilcoskan NS news for the month of May, with a little June news too to help you plan ahead as we approach the end of the school year.
Is mise le meas,
Ciarán Caulfield, Priomhoide
· Well done to our pupils in 2nd class who made their First Holy Communion in St.Margaret’s Church recently. Thanks to all who helped out on the day. 6th class Confirmation will take place on Wednesday 27th May.
· Our after school activities have now finished for the school year. The Joe Crowe Cup is scheduled for Monday 8th June and we hope to have a hurling blitz in mid June. Thanks again to our staff who all participated in this year’s fully free after school programme. This year we had football, hurling, Christmas crafts, drama, homework club and cookery, chess and music.
· Well done to our Green School Committee and all our pupils who worked hard last term on the Green Flag Global Citizenship theme. We have earned our 6th Green Flag and the awards ceremony in The Helix will be on 21st May.
· Our new junior infant (September 2015 intake) induction morning is scheduled for Thursday 21st May.
· Kilcoskan We Are Writers book: on 28th May we will host a book fair at which our new Kilcoskan book of pupils poems, stories and memories will be available to order. The book will cost €8 and 60% of all monies raised will go towards buying literacy resources for our school. There is at least one composition by every pupil in our school in this book and a sample is already available to see at reception. It would make a great prezzy!
· Testing: this week class pupils from 1st – 6th class will sit their annual standardised literacy and numeracy tests. These are not high stakes tests and pupils need not be nervous about them. Rather, they provide our teachers with insights into pupil progress and assist with planning for next year’s teaching. Results of tests will be provided to parents in the summer reports. Further information about standardised testing is available online at www.ncca.ie
· Booklists and summer reports: As before, book lists and pupil summer reports will be provided to parents a minimum of 1 week before the end of term in June.
· School tours: teachers are currently putting the final plans in place for class summer tours. Letters from individual teachers will be issued shortly.
· The dentist will visit for pupils in 2nd, 4th and 6th class on 27th May.
· Sports day is scheduled for Wednesday 24th June. If it is a wet day, sports day will be on the 25th June and if that’s wet too it’ll be the 26th! More information will be provided closer to the date.
· As per Department of Education procedures, a “half in half out” staff meeting is scheduled for Wednesday June 10th. This means that school will close for all pupils at 1.40pm on this date.
· Kilcoskan NS Summer Sunday Market: scheduled for Sunday June 21st. More information about this will follow closer to the date.
· Note that school will start back for all pupils for the next school year on Tuesday 1st September 2015.
· As per the school calendar, Kilcoskan NS is closed on Friday 29th May, Monday 1st and Tuesday 2nd June.