April has been a busy and very important month in the history of Kilcoskan N.S., perhaps the most momentous month for the school since moving to the current school site back in 1948! Why? Because this month we moved into our beautiful new school extension - Hooray!!! We are all delighted with the bright new building, the new classrooms and our new grassy activity room. We hope it serves the pupils, staff and wider Kilcoskan NS community well for generations to come.
A grand opening for the new school will be planned for the near future but in the meantime, thanks to all who helped and supported us during the building process and good luck to all who sail in the new and improved “Good Ship Kilcoskan”!
Is mise le meas,
Ciarán Caulfield, Priomhoide
The following is some other news from the month of April:
• Congratulations to all on the achievement of Kilcoskan NS’s 6th Green Flag, for Global Citizenship. This follows lots of work by our pupils in term 2 on multiculturalism, fair trade, environmentalism and recycling. Kilcoskan NS is in the top 5% of Irish schools supporting this international programme.
• Well done to our pupils for their huge efforts recycling batteries in term 2. Our boys and girls (and some parents) brought in over 1,211 kilograms (that’s over a tonne!) in weight of batteries. Last week our battery collection sponsors WEEE / Ratcliffe gave us a giant cheque for €1,211 towards our developing garden! Thanks to all!
• Only a few Trocaire boxes have been returned to school – pupils may return these up to Friday 8th May. Following this they may be returned to local churches.
• Thanks to all who supported the recent Texas Hold’em Poker night in the Coolquay Lodge, which raised over €300 for our school.
• School closures: Kilcoskan NS will be closed on Friday 1st and Monday 4th May and will reopen on Tuesday 5th May at 9am for a full school day.